...a cancer research fundraiser!
Hair Donation Ottawa is an annual, non-profit, cancer research fundraiser where people raise pledges for donating their hair and/or shaving their heads & they receive a complimentary wash, cut and style or shave.
Participating hair stylists from various Ottawa & area salons, as well as teaching staff and students from the Algonquin College Hair Stylist program, volunteer their Time & Talent for this cause.
Proceeds go towards:
- Adult and Childhood Biotherapeutic Cancer Research at the Ottawa Hospital Research Institute and The Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario (CHEO) Research Institute.
- All suitable hair donations go towards the manufacturing of wigs which are provided free of charge to 18yr and under Ottawa & area, Canadian children who have lost their hair for a variety of medical resons and who's parent/guardian(s) do not have medical insurance. Our wig sponsor partners and providers are Caralyns on Merivale.
- Annual $500 Bursaries to financially challenged Algonquin College Hair Stylist Program students to help offset their tuition fees and/or text books; we will be providing two such Bursaries for the 2015-16 academic year
- We partner with Angel Apparel to provide complimentary headscarves to any CHEO patient with hair loss that would like one
Hair Donation Ottawa was founded in 2011 by Helene Hutchings, who was diagnosed and successfully treated for cancer at The Ottawa Hospital in 2010. The event runs each April during Cancer Awareness Month.
Our seventh annual event took place in April 2017 at Algonquin College Salon & Spa Dept, Ottawa and we raised $110,416 for BioTherapeutic cancer research at CHEO & the Ottawa Hospital Research Institutes, Ottawa, Canada. We also collected over 15,000" of hair which will go towards the manufacture & distribution of free of wigs for 18yr & under Canadian children or the manfacture of hair mats for oil spills in the world's oceans & lakes if the donated hair was under 6"/15.24cm or unsuitable for the wig making process.
Since 2011 we have raised just under $600,000 for Canadian Research...with a GLOBAL impact!
Hair Donation Ottawa is a proud community partner of the Canadian BioCanRx Cancer Research Group www.biocanrx.com
We have donated thousands upon thousands of inches of hair to help go towards free of charge wigs for Ottawa & area children with hair loss for a variety of medical reasons who's parent's do not have medical insurance.
THANK YOU to everyone who helped make this happen!
FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE GO TO:
TO PARTICIPATE IN THE EVENT:
You can either:
- Donate 15.24cm/ 6"+ of hair (gently treated/grey hair accepted)
- Shave your head
- Cut/shave your long beard!
- ....remember to ask your family, friends & co-workers to sponsor you! They can sponsor you per inch of hair donated OR a flat amount
- Registration required
- No hair to give? Then please consider sponsoring/donating on behalf of those who are participating
- WE SET A MINIMUM SPONSORSHIP/PLEDGE AMOUNT OF $150 PER PARTICIPATING HAIR DONOR/HEAD SHAVER ($75 IF YOU ARE UNDER 18) *subject to change
Participating hair stylists from various Ottawa & region salons, as well as the teaching staff & students from the Algonquin College Hair Stylist program, volunteer their Time & Talent for this Event...providing a complimentary wash, cut & styles for all people donating their hair who have raised the minimum donation amount (and a shave & scalp shine for those brave souls who shave it all off!!). Please consider sponsoring participating salons/stylists.
For more information: please contact Helene Hutchings at 613 552-0587 or HairDonationOttawa@gmail.com or visit our website www.HairDonationOttawa.com
To donate on-line:
At a TD Bank near you:
Donations can be made in person at any TD Canada Trust bank location to account "Hair Donation Ottawa" Account Number 3281 5024472
On-Line Fundraising Pages:
Each Participant/Team will, upon registration, have their own on-line donation page...they can post this link up on any/all social media platforms as well as email the link out to family, friends, co-workers etc. Tax receipts are available for all $20+ donations.
The Ottawa Hospital Research Institute: Centre for Innovative Cancer Research:
In 2011, The Ottawa Hospital Research Institute (OHRI), the research arm of The Ottawa Hospital, opened a new $15.8M laboratory that is uniquely designed to accelerate the development and testing of new cancer therapies.
The Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario (CHEO) Research Institute:
The CHEO Research Institute is the research arm of CHEO that works to create new knowledge and evidence to help provide the world-class care that CHEO is known for. Research at CHEO covers cancer and a full spectrum of pediatric topics. The vision of the CHEO Research Institute is: Discoveries today for healthier kids tomorrow.
Algonquin College Foundation:
Annual $500 Bursaries for financially challenged Algonquin College HairStylist Program students; two Bursaries will be provided for the 2016-17 academic year. Hair Donation Ottawa recognizes the fact that our HairStylist students of today are our licensed HairStylists/Hair Salon Owners of tomorrow..who become our annual event licensed volunteer HairStylist! We are also very proud to be a member of the Algonquin College Hair Stylist Advisory Committee.
Wigs for Canadian children 18 & under:
All donated hair that is suitable for the wig making process goes towards the manufacture & fitting of custom wigs for children who have lost their hair for a variety of medical reasons. These wigs wil be provided free of charge via our official salons.
Hair unsuitable for wig making:
Hair that is deemed unsuitable for wig making process (too short, to processed etc) DOES NOT GO TO WASTE! We send this hair off to be made into hair matts for oil spills in our global Lakes & Oceans via our affiliation with Green Circle Salons via Algonquin College Salon & Spa Department, Ottawa.
TotttYou really can MAKE A DIFFERENCE